World’s first wearable speech tracker secures £480k R&D Grant

February 16, 2021

BeneTalk is pioneering in the field of wearable technology with a niche focus on wearable speech tracking devices that effectively coaches people who stammer to improve their speech. Working with Venturenomix, the UK-based team have just secured a significant R&D grant of circa £480,000 to integrate Real-Time Haptic Feedback capability into their prototype device. 

CEO Jordi Fernandez said: “The Venturenomix team did an excellent job writing our grant application and we have now secured the R&D Grant Funding that we need for the next 12 months!”

The grant was awarded by Innovate UK through their Smart Grant program – part of an annual £2bn R&D grant funding budget to encourage SMEs to overcome technical risks and develop innovative products, processes and services. The grant will cover 70% of the total costs of the research and development work, with the remaining 30% (match funding) coming from the project partners. That said, the university partner involved in the project (University of Reading) will receive 100% funding in accordance with the rules of the Innovate UK Smart Grant competition.

Eligible costs include staff wages, overheads, capital equipment, subcontractor costs, professional advisors and project management costs. The grant enables BeneTalk to work again with their trusted partners – University of Reading and British Stammer Trust – who have been central to the product development so far.

We have written up a short case study with more details about the technology, the grant funding and the role that Venturenomix played in the process of securing the grant funding.

If you are interested to find out more about grant funding for SMEs, grant funding for universities, grant funding for innovation or grant funding for impact projects, please get in touch with us.